A friend of mine has found someone and they’re both serious about getting married. They want to do Mutah before the permanent marriage so that speaking, going out, meeting up etc etc can be done in a halal way.

My friend is a virgin but she is financially independent. Does she still have to seek permission from her parents in order for the mutah to be halal?

Yes she needs permission from her father.