Is it allowed for me to have a preferred surname to go by? I'm aware it's haram for me to change my surname to that of my (step) father from that of my biological father but was wondering, while officially in places like uni and work my biological name would be used, could I request for my preferred name to be used casually?

As long as this preferred surname does not bring you degradation or is that related to enemies of Islam there is no problem